Thursday, March 05, 2009

Now THIS is a daddy issue

File this one under "And I thought I had dating problems!"

Meghan McCain, the 24-year-old daughter of senator and former GOP presidential contender John McCain, says the '08 election ruined her personal life.

"Of all the things people warned would happen post-election, no one ever said anything about how complicated dating would become," Meghan wrote in a recent essay, "Looking for Mr. Far Right." It it, she explains the unique dating difficulties that come with being the offspring of the prominent Republican. Meghan says she makes a point of keeping politics out of her relationships, and while she's been successful in her friendships, there's not much success on the dating front.

"Here's the biggest surprise: I am not only turned off by people who voted for Barack Obama, but I am also turned off by people that voted for my dad — or more so, obsessive supporters of my dad," Meghan wrote.

"... Nothing makes me more ill than the idea of some guy bragging to his friends that he was going to go on a date with 'John McCain’s daughter.' (Unfortunately this has happened more times than I would like to count and each time I can sense it within the first 30 seconds of meeting them.) One extreme fan of my mother’s recently told me I could be “his Cindy.” And then asked me if I ever wore pearls because they probably would look as good on me as they do on my mother. No, I'm not kidding."

Kin-ky.

Meghan says she didn't date at all while on the campaign trail with her dad ("too paranoid about getting set up for some sort of weird 'gotcha' moment") and has spent a lot of time hanging out with girlfriends since. Earnest guys who've felt the need to explain why they voted for Obama, or McCain fans who've worked "maverick" and "straight talk" into dinner conversations have left her cold.

"I am sure I am not being fair to all the men out there, but my recent experiences have left me scarred and wary of dating. At this point, my biggest aphrodisiac is an apathetic attitude toward politics."

Wow. Enamoured policy wonks need not apply.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, privileged brat uses daddy's name to launch a career in "journalism" and whine about her love life. Is it any wonder she has problems in the dating department? She should take a hint from dad and serve a cause greater than herself - she could do some good, and maybe even meet Mr. Right along the way.

Anonymous said...

Too many pearl necklaces Deirdre?

Anonymous said...

She's a bright girl, and had to know this would happen. If McCain had been elected, it would be even worse with Secret Service following her every step. In a few months, things will change.

Anonymous said...

Please remember, you are talking about someone that is 24!!!! Isn't dating hard enough without these added issues. She is also not a brat and is working which is more than a lot of privileged people can say. This lady is no Paris Hilton!!!

Anonymous said...

She's hot, i'll date her

SeaShark said...

The gorgeous Meghan McCain looks a lot like the gorgeous Emily Proctor, a North Carolina native and star of the CBS Television show CSI: Miami. Meghan appears to be a smart, personable woman who quickly brushes off phony "kiss and tell" jerks and should trust her instincts to sense the good guys she'll eventually meet. Dating today is a cautionary journey, and Meghan is clearly savvy enough and intuitive enough to navigate the waters.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to her. It's hard enough at that age to date as it is, but the added stresses of "does he like me for me, or me for my dad" can't be easy for her. There are enough jerks out there as is, and I hope she finds someone who really does like her for who she is and not where she comes from.