Monday, July 14, 2008

Use Internet to research your dates?


The dreaded first date just ended. It went smoothly and you’re kicking yourself for being nervous. But before you pick up the cell to inform that handsome fella or gorgeous gal what a lovely time you had staring into their eyes … you first turn on your laptop.

That’s right. It’s time to get ol' Google rollin’ because you’ve got work to do.

With the onslaught of social networking sites, powerful search engine capabilities and access to more personal information than ever before, it seems more and more single people are flocking to the Internet to do their own “background checks” on potential dates.

I’ve talked with several singles lately that have uncovered startling facts just by spending a little time online, including: arrest records, messy divorce cases, children, spouses who are current and holes in people’s stories (i.e., he said he graduated from Dartmouth but his Facebook profile has Wake Technical Community College).

Now, I realize it’s been almost eight years since I was single, but I would have never thought to look up a potential significant other to see what I could unearth about his past. Then again, eight years ago in Web years is like when the caveman first rubbed two sticks together.

Are you using Facebook, MySpace, Ning, Twitter, Google, LexisNexis and a bevy of other sites to do background checks on your dates? If you are, and you find out some juicy information, is that a deal-breaker for you or do you bring up your self-explored research to your potential date? Tell us. Enquiring minds want to know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One problem with using the Internet to research your dates is that the Internet won't tell you about personality problems they might have... like the girl who presented me with a "checklist" of all of my perceived flaws after just three dates and essentially demanded that I change who I was if I wanted to be with her. You can't find stuff like THAT on the Internet.

Anonymous said...

I always used the three date rule. If after three dates a girl was not willing to get very physical we were done. If after three dates she gave me a checklist, we were done. If after three dates neither one of us wanted to get physical, well you know. If after three dates she wanted to introduce me to her family or meet mine...hasta lasanga, this applies to post college aged girls.

Anonymous said...

I google, facebook, whatever everyone I go out with BEFORE the first date. Most of the time, you can't find anything. If you don't have a personal reference for the person, it's at least a good way to see if they work/went to school where they claim. I've never had anything bad turn up, but then none of the guys I've dated has turned out to be a crazy liar. Doesn't hurt to do your homework!

Anonymous said...

For my friends and myself I check the following: America's Most Wanted, local sex offender registry, Char-Meck Sheriff and a general google search. I found a guy with 2 felony's and multiple misdemeanors for a friend once, now it has become a staple!