Monday, February 16, 2009

Friends, 18 years in the making

It took nearly 18 years of knowing each other, but my sister-in-law and I have finally formed a friendship.

More than that, I'd say Deana has been a primary lifeline for me these past two years -- getting used to juggling two children, deciding to spend most of my time at home with them, and acclimating to a new city in the midst of all the other changes.

We talk several times a week (sometimes several times a day) to share hilarious -- and not so funny -- kid stories (and maybe a husband tale or two). We blow off steam about the fleeting annoyances in our lives. We celebrate victories as we figure out how best to be a professional woman and a mom and a wife at the same time.

Why did it take so long?

I can't exactly say why. We had always gotten along when we saw each other, and we talked occasionally over the years outside of the family get-togethers. But Deana reached out a little after my oldest child was born, and I was determined to keep in touch with her with regularity.

I guess it comes down to this: We had never really stopped long enough in our busy lives to realize how much we like each other, and how much we could support each other.

And here we are, two years later, sharing a blessing of a relationship that allows us to get a window into the daily lives of our nieces and nephews, though they live many, many states away.

She gives me the reality check I need when craziness is swirling around me.

Best of all, she makes me laugh, and everyone needs a friend like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing is more enjoyable to finally say to people I do have a sister! I always wanted a sister but being the last born of two children, that was not an option. I am very greatful for such a wonderful relationship that is based on listening, thinking that is kind and not judgemental, and mostly a special love only a sister brings forth. I would like to say that it took a long time because I was too busy thinking I never had a sister when I had one right in front of me! Sometimes the things that we want are right in front of us, it is all in the way we choose to see it, thanks for not giving up on making that connection Alicia, without you, I would not have hope, love and all things that are"true"!I love you!